1/29/12

In nomine Patri. Et Fili. Spiritus Sancti.

Before I take you into the glorious world of the MacManus twins, I have a dedication. This post goes out to Eileen. She is my shemance (hey, guys get a bromance, so she came up with shemance. She's so clever). She's dripping with awesomesauce. She sent Spike and I a copy of Boondock Saints: All Saints Day when she found out we hadn't seen it. She's just wonderful. I love her and you should too.


I've mentioned many times that The Boondock Saints is my all time favorite movie (yes, I do mean both Boondock Saints & All Saints Day), but I haven't thoroughly explained why I adore the MacManus boys. (This is going to be extra long because I am going over both movies & all the characters. You've been warned!)


It was 2001, I was 16 and dating an Irish boy. He insisted that I watch this movie. I'm not your normal girl. I love Olympic style wrestling, get into SEC football, and I rather watch a guy movie over a chick flick (except for Clueless. That movie is special). I thought "It's an action movie, I'll at least enjoy it." I was not prepared for how amazing this movie is.


The MacManus twins are perfection. Connor (Sean Patrick Flanery) and Murphy (Norman Reedus) work in a meat packing plant in South Boston. These boys pray hard, work hard and play hard. Even though the meat fight scene makes me cringe because all I can think is "Ewww, germs," it's hard not to love their relationship.


These boys are dedicated to God, each other and their friends. They're celebrating Saint Patrick's Day when Russian mobsters come in to hassle the lovable owner of McGinty's bar, Doc (played by Gerard Parkes, who also played Doc on one my my favorite shows Fraggle Rock!).


When the mobsters won't leave, the boys' best friend Rocco (a part written for the amazing David Della Rocco) insults the men, and gets a punch to the face. The MacManus brothers won't let that slide and a fight breaks out leaving one mobster with a busted head and another with a burned ass. The boys head home to sleep it off.


The Russians find out where the boys live and show up to kill Connor for setting fire to one of their asses. Once there, the burned man decides to kill Murphy to retaliate against Connor. Handcuffing Connor to the toilet, the mobsters drag Murphy out behind their building to shoot him. In what can only be described as the most epic use of a toilet as a weapon, Connor saves Murphy, but gets knocked out. After rolling the bodies, they get patched up at the hospital and head to the police station to turn themselves in.


Before the boys have even made it out of the hospital, the FBI sends super agent Paul Maximilian Smecker to discovered who killed these two mobsters in such a personal way. Paired with Detectives Dolly, Duffy and Greenly, no one can get much information on who killed the mobsters other than "they're angels."


After it is discovered to be a case of self defense, the police allow the boys to stay in the station over night to avoid reporters. Here, the boys receive a message from God to destroy all that is evil. From here they go on a killing spree taking out Boston's criminals. Their holy mission soon gains another crusader when Rocco gets fed up with being a package boy for the Italian mafia, after finding out "The Funny Man" had been set up.


Long story short, they go on the most epic of killing sprees, purging the world of filth. These men really should be in every major city. If you watch this movie, you will fall in love with it. Sure, it says "fuck" a lot, but so do I. I have never had someone tell me they didn't like Boondock Saints.


The second one, All Saints Day opens in Ireland. Eight years later, the boys are sheep farmers in their mid-thirties, living with their Da. The boys find out they are being framed for the murder of a priest and decide to kill "every last motherfucker that had anything to do with it." Plus, we get a pretty awesome shower scene. By far the best intro to any movie ever.


Hopping on a cargo ship, they head back to Boston. On that ship they get w little taste of la Raza. Romeo is the most bad ass Mexican since Danny Trejo and was written for the incredible Clifton Collins Jr. My Carmen told me forever before I saw ASD, "You will adore Romeo. He could totally be one of our cousins." Yes, he could. I was skeptical because I completely love Rocco and I never thought another man in his place would make me as happy as Rocco did, but Romeo serves up some "whoop ass fajitas." I've always said Mexicans and Irish had a lot in common (Catholic, hard drinkers, rich culture and they usually end up being pretty fertile!) and this movie just proves that theory.


Before too much longer, things get out of hand and Da, or Pappa M shows up to take care of some old business. Noah MacManus is an original badass. He's so pimp, he makes a butterfly tattoo hot. He's a conflicted man. Guilt ridden and haunted by his past, Noah can be a dangerous man when you are in the wrong. He walks the path of righteousness, but without the good humor his boys share. The stunning Billy Connolly plays Il Duce in a way that has his heart and faith out shinning his past. (Also, I ADORE Connolly as Fido. One of my most favorite zombies ever!)


Once Da gets to Boston, the boys do what they do best, this time aided by a new FBI agent, Special Agent Eunice Bloom, played by the gorgeous Julie Benz. Eunice says it best, "I am so fucking smart I make smart people feel fucking retarded." When we met her at Dragon Con, she said people have told her they hated her accent. Personally, I love it. Eunice wouldn't be Eunice without her drawl.


This is one of the few sequels I have seen that have seen that is actually as good as the original. There has been rumors that Boondock Saint lll could be a tv show or a movie. There's been a lot of buzz that Troy Duffy has said there will be a third movie but no definite details have been released, other than it being named Boondock Saints: In Nomine Patris. Sounds like the boys will be getting out of prison before we know it! (P.S. If anyone affiliated with BDS is reading this, I'm about to graduate from cosmetology school, so if y'all need someone to help out with hair & makeup, I'm your woman!) I am beyond excited about a third Saints movie.


This fandom has actually found me some wonderful friends I'd never know without it. One is Alia. We have so much in common, we joke that we're long lost sisters. She even wrote a fanfic based on if she and I were sisters and ended up breaking the Saints out of prison. Alia has amazing talent and I couldn't be more proud of her for Saints and Sisters.


Alia's story had attracted some fans and has even been the story behind the group that does the Boondock Saints role playing on Twitter. They are pretty respectful with it and don't do the smut since some kids follow the accounts.


I completely love this franchise. I recently got my first Boondock Saints shirts and every time I wear it someone tells me "You look like so skinny." Yeah, I totally call it a magic shirt. Also, Boondock Saints have made my SUV super awesome. (I know my baby is dirty. So, what? I'm lazy.)


I know Boondock Saints fans are everywhere, but no one I know in my daily life has seen the movies, except for my family and people I've made watch it. Want proof fans are everywhere? Check out this picture I took on my tv when I paused a Progressive commercial.


If you made it to the end of this long post, THANK YOU, and feel free to leave comments! If you made it to the end of this post and have not seen these movies… what are you waiting for?!? Go watch them!!!


Disclaimer: No person, thing, book, show, movie or company mentioned in this post in any way, shape, or form, asked me to write this or gave me any compensation to write this. I jacked all images (except for the one from my tv) from Google image search or Twitter and just assumed they fell under the Public Domain Usage thingy. Please don't sue, I'm broke anyways. I just wanted to share my Boondock Saints obsession with Bloggywood! While I was not offered anything to write this, I will be more than happy to receive any swag you may want to send my way.


- Whether you love me or hate me, you know who I am.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena