If you don't love AMC's The Walking Dead, I will convert you. I've done it several times. Most recently, I forced my teacher Mr. Pope. I literally harassed him for like 3 months to watch this show. He finally did over Christmas break. The entire thing, Season One & the first half of Season Two. He is in love with the show. His exact words when he saw me when school started back? "I really tried to not like this show… but it is so good!" You're welcome, Pope. Told you I'm always right! (Now, I'm trying to force him to watch Boondock Saints. Even lent him my copies. I keep telling him that he'll love them.)
If I'm watching grown up tv, it means either Spike is home to watch the kids so I can fold laundry and watch it or the kids are asleep. The Walking Dead comes on Sunday nights right after we lay the kids down for bed. Perfect timing. I am not afraid to say, I refuse to do anything that happens during The Walking Dead. It's like a little at home date for the Hubs & I.
I want to say one thing before I get to the meat of this post. Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, all the writers all the actors, and generally anyone involved with this show are insanely talented. Which ever one of these people suggested that they split up the season is a GENIUS! They didn't have to fight holiday programming and got to drive up hype for this show. Well done!
They dragged it out way too long, but the reveal of Sophia as a walker was by far the greatest moment of the first half of season two. Technically, one of my Twitter predictions came true. They did find her on the farm, I just didn't think she would be in the barn! Madison will be missed on the show according to her cast mates. I know I'll miss Sophia, the little blonde girl who I hoped would end up being Carl's first kiss.
The most amazing bit of acting this time, definitely goes to my favorite living actor Norman Reedus and the extraordinary Melissa McBride. Reedus has been quoted as saying "Damaged people gravitate to damaged people" when he is asked about Daryl and Carol. They are beautiful on screen together. Their chemistry is unexplainable. They made me cry, more times than I'm comfortable admitting. I know some people don't want them to get romantic, but I think it would be beautiful and healing. I want to see them slowly develop a deep love for each other and prove, even the end of the world cannot defeat a true love. They need each other. "Amor Vincit Omnia." (my favorite line from the Canterbury Tales)
(Side Note: it was reported that Madison and Norman got to be good friends on the set. She even called him her boyfriend, and he called her "my girlfriend Maddie." That is so sweet it makes me want to cry! I had to put this picture here.)
The Walking Dead does not disappoint on the sexiness factor. I know, ewww zombies, gross. But! Everyone who survives the end are hotties! If the human race does outlast the walkers, it will be gorgeous. You all know I adore Norman Reedus and I am completely in love with Daryl Dixon, but there's more hotness than that on the show. AMC has made sure to pack the show with good looking people and crazy sexual vibes. I say it's because death is an aphrodisiac. You think you can die at any moment, you'd be wanting to get down and dirty too. Glenn is so adorable and his steamy new love with the farmer's daughter Maggie is just too perfect. Pretty early in the first season we got some hot, raw woods sex with Shane and Lori. Then some of Rick and Lori making love. Next they're throwing some very forward, car banging with Shane and Andrea. AMC knows sex sells. Bravo to them for exploiting this in such an interesting way. (And keep showing a shirtless Shane! Jon Bernthal has such a pretty body!)
Before the first half of Season Two premiered, I made a list of predictions. A lot of them came true. Let's see which ones!
• Lori is pregnant.
Thanks to a loud piss sound effect, we know Lori took the test and proved she is intact pregnant, just like the comics. I'm seriously hoping that they never figure out who the father of the baby happens to be.
• Shane attempts to leave the group, but Rick begs him to stay.
Okay, I was a little off here. Sure, Lori basically begged him to stay, so I'm counting it as a half right.
• The survivors from the farm throw up major problems and they really do have the barn full of geeks.
Okay, this one kind of speaks for itself.
• Carl gets shot, but survives and let's every one know how cool he thinks it was.
He totally got shot & totally had a great heart to heart with his dad over it. (Side Note: Carl with the hat and six shooter makes the FanGirl in me giggle, because he looks just like the comics Carl.)
• Daryl finds Merle.
Sure, he found him as a hallucination, but he still found him. I'm calling it a half win.
• Glenn gets laid.
Boom! I was right again! See? I learned a lot from reading the comics!
Now, I am ready to jump for joy over the fact that my favorite show returns to television February 12th, but I'm still going through withdrawals. To bide this time, I have watched the marathon, poured over the comics, gazed over the action figures, obsess over the board game and even kept up with the role play on Twitter. (By the way, the star of the role play, in my opinion was @DixonDaryl. The girl who wrote him was great at staying in character. Sadly, the role play has fizzled due to the same idea being done too many times. It got kind of stale. I'm hoping it can be reborn when the show starts back.)
During this hiatus, I have come up with more predictions. Some are the same from last time since those didn't get to happen yet, but I still think they will happen so I'm adding them to this list.
WARNING CONTAINS SOME COMIC SPOILERS
• We find out Andrea and Dale are lovers or they become lovers.
• Daryl and T Dog form a friendship, because that would piss off Merle.
• A lot more Daryl screen time. Daryl is a personal favorite of Robert Kirkman, and he is, arguably, everyone's favorite character on the show. Some people think he'll die at the end of the season, but I think AMC wants to keep Reedus on the show because he is instant money. He may not be the star of the show, but you do not kill off everyone's favorite if you want to keep the money flowing in. Plus, they're probably scared of rabid FanGirls, too.
• Shane talks about leaving again. (Hold on to the idea of Shane… I'll come back to him.)
• If Hershel doesn't kick them off the farm, they leave on their own free will, and find the prison on the way to Fort Benning
• Hershel catches Maggie and Glenn or Glenn goes to Hershel & asks him for his approval on their relationship, because Glenn loves Maggie
• Daryl finds Merle. Merle stirs up a shit storm and makes Daryl feel guilty about bonding with the other survivors. I want Daryl to cry, because that would totally make me cry. (Yes, this is the same prediction word for word because I WANT ME SOME MO MERLE!)
• Daryl straddles the fence of sanity and insanity, but Carol helps him through it, while trying to not go crazy with depression or killing herself. Shane will completely snap & go super crazy.
•Michonne comes in. I love her, she's easily one of the best characters in the comics. Bitch is hard core!
• A major character dies at the season finale. My money is on Shane. He's already been dead for a long time in the comics. I love Jon Bernthal and I think he's a wonderful actor, but I feel Shane won't be around much longer. I'll miss him. Shane is an amazing, tortured, love sick character. (If they kill off Carol, I'll be pissed. I want her for Daryl, unless they bring in Michonne.)
That's it for this incredibly long rambling about my favorite show. Expect another post once the she comes back. You know I can't go long without getting all wordy about zombies!
Disclaimer: No person, thing, book, show, movie, character or zombie mentioned in this post in any way, shape, or form, asked me to write this or gave me any compensation to write this. I jacked all images from Google image search or Twitter and just assumed they fell under the Public Domain Usage thingy. Please don't sue, I'm broke anyways. I just wanted to share my Walking Dead obsession with Bloggywood! While I was not offered anything to write this, I will be more than happy to receive any swag you may want to send my way.
- Whether you love me or hate me, you know who I am.